Are you planning a fancy event? Do you want to impress your guests with eight drinks with gold flakes to really make your get-together stand out from the rest? If you thought gold was just for wearing or used to make coins, you may be surprised to hear about adding gold flakes to drinks. However, edible gold is safe to ingest and can have a dramatic effect on the appearance of cocktails and other beverages. Read on to learn more about drinks with gold flakes.
Are Gold Flakes Edible?
Yes, real gold flakes are safe to eat. Edible gold can be used to enhance the appearance of food and drinks, helping it shine and sparkle. The body does not absorb edible gold when it digests foods and drinks. There are also no nutritional benefits or drawbacks to consuming edible silver or gold.
Cocktails With Gold Flakes
Cocktails with gold flakes shimmer and shine. Whether you’re planning a huge event or just want to offer something special to a small group of friends, consider making a statement with one of these cocktails that taste just as amazing as they look and include edible gold leaf.
A Gold Fashioned is a unique take on a classic drink. An Old Fashioned is made with whiskey, sugar with bitters, and water. Orange and a cocktail cherry garnish complete this traditional drink.
However, the recipe for a Gold Fashioned differs just a bit. Rather than whiskey, a Gold Fashioned is made using exquisite Remy Martin cognac. Check out the ingredients and steps to craft Gold Fashioned for your next event.
Makes 4 Cocktails
- 200 ml Remy Martin XO
- 4 lumps of brown sugar
- 12 dashes of bitters
- 1 teaspoon edible gold flakes
- 16-20 ice cubes
- Soak 1 brown sugar lump in 3 dashes of bitters in a mixing cup.
- Add two ice cubes.
- Pour 50 mL Remy Martin cognac over the ice cubes and bitters mixture.
- Stir the mixture and add more ice until it reaches a smooth consistency.
- Sprinkle in about ¼ teaspoon of gold flakes.
- Repeat the above steps with the remaining ingredients to make three additional Gold Fashioned Cocktails.
- Serve and enjoy.
Champagne Royal D’Oro
This gold flake champagne is the perfect drink for celebrating special events, such as anniversaries. In addition to its delicious taste and sparkly appearance, it is also easy to make and requires just a few ingredients, including edible gold flakes, of course.
Makes 2 Cocktails
- 1 ounce Chambord
- 8 ounces chilled champagne
- ½ teaspoon edible gold flakes
- 2 fresh raspberries
- Split the Chambord between two champagne glasses.
- Split the edible gold flakes between each glass over the Chambord.
- Add approximately 4 ounces of champagne to each glass.
- Add a fresh raspberry to each glass for garnish.
Saint Patrick’s Day Pot O’ Gold
Add some sparkle to any day—not just Saint Patrick’s Day—with this shimmery Pot o’ Gold cocktail. As you’d expect with an Irish drink, the cocktail features Irish whiskey. The whiskey is paired with scotch, gingery honey syrup, lemon juice, and an egg white. The edible gold flakes used to garnish the drink give it that extra shimmer, reminding individuals of a lucky leprechaun’s pot of gold.
Makes 2 Cocktails
- 3 ½ ounces Irish whiskey
- ⅔ ounce Islay scotch
- 1 ½ ounces lemon juice
- 1 ½ ounces ginger honey syrup
- 1 egg white
- Ice cubes
- ½ teaspoon edible gold flakes
- Prepare ginger honey syrup: Add honey, ⅓ cup chopped ginger and ½ cup water in a pot over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it sit at room temperature. Use within two weeks (keep refrigerated).
- Combine Irish whiskey, Islay scotch, lemon juice, egg white, and ginger honey syrup in a cocktail shaker. Shake (without adding any ice).
- Add ice cubes and shake the mixture again.
- Double-strain the mixture to split it between two chilled glasses.
- Add the edible gold flakes along the center of each glass as a garnish.
Use Edible Genuine Gold Flakes for fabulous cocktails
Alcoholic Drinks With Gold Flakes
In addition to crafting your own gold flake cocktails, there are several alcoholic drinks that are already made using gold flakes. Read on to learn more about gold flake liquor and wine options to try.
- Gold Flakes Supreme Vodka: This gold flake vodka from France is a special treat for those who love vodka. The bottle is also unique with its half gold/half translucent design.
- Goldschläger: This cinnamon schnapps gold flake alcohol features a German name for the individual who beat gold down to create the thin gold leaf sheets and flakes.
- Leyenda de Mexico Tequila Gold Flakes Blanco: If you’re looking for a gold flake tequila, you’ll certainly want to give this classy drink a try.
- Gold Cuvée Wine: This premium luxury dry wine features gold flakes that give it a shimmery sparkle.
Energy Drinks With Gold Flakes
Cocktails and alcoholic beverages aren’t the only drinks made with real gold. The Louis XIV 24 Carat Gold Flakes is an energy drink made using genuine gold. The drink features a citric base with hints of caramels, raspberry, and vanilla.
Creating Edible Gold Leaf Drinks
Creating edible gold leaf drinks can be a lot of fun. Edible gold leaf is very versatile. In addition to helping you craft desserts that are a true work of art, it can also help you make cocktails that are as sparkly as they are delicious. You’ll also find some alcoholic beverages and even energy drinks made with gold flakes. Which of the gold flake drinks are you most excited to try?
Edible gold flakes can be used to garnish cocktails, enhance the appearance of food items, and so much more.
As long as you are using edible gold flakes, then they are fine to drink.
Yes, the gold flakes added to vodka are safe to drink.